Thursday, July 28, 2011

Flight of Fancy




FLIGHT OF FANCY – A Ten Minute Play



Setting:

Two men sitting, facing the audience, on high stools in a modern hotel bar. Large mirror to one side. Play opens with Brian waving goodbye to somebody off stage. Rostov looking straight ahead.

Brian:
You go ahead Jack. I want to stay here for a while. I'll make my own way home. See you in the morning!

(Turns back to bar and observing that his glass is empty calls for another. Mutters to himself half-looking at Rostov who is smiling)

I’ve nothing to rush home for anyway.

Rostov:
That’s unfortunate. Why?

Brian:
It’s a long story.

Rostov:
Right.

(There is a silence as he waits for Brian to expand and when he doesn’t)

You should take a taxi my friend!

Brian:

What on earth for? Where would I be going? I live nearby.

Rostov:
To the Airport Hotel.

Brian:

Why would I be going to the airport at this hour?

Rostov:

A flight of fancy. To take your mind off things.

(Rostov pulls a card from his pocket and passes it to Brian)

My card.


Brian:
I don’t understand. (looks at card) Oh! I do now!

Rostov:

Ever tried it?

Brian:

No. Is it expensive?

Rostov:

Depends on whether you choose a domestic or international flight.

Brian:

Why?

Rostov:

Exotic destinations. Difference in landing charges. All of that.

Brian:

How much difference?

Rostov:

Sixty quid on average! One hundred if it is Brazil. Are you interested?

(Brian looks at Rostov and then his card for a little while and then around the bar.)

Brian:

Yeah . . . mabey.

Rostov:

Good. That’s settled. Wait here for a few minutes and then come outside. White Merc at the end of the rank. Ok?

Brian:

Right.

(Rostov gets up talking into mobile phone and leaves. Brian takes out his wallet and counts money. A photograph slips out and he studies it and then his reflection in the mirror with an intense gaze. 5 minute or so passes and Rostov comes back in.)

Rostov:

Are you coming or what? (Angrily)

Brian:

No. I think I’ll walk.

No comments: